Interested in part-time work at The Arboretum this semester?
The Arboretum has an opening for a Conservation Horticulture Assistant Overview: The Conservation Horticulture Assistant will work closely with Arboretum staff in all aspects of the maintenance of woody plant collections, with a focus on conservation collections and related programs at The Arboretum. The successful; candidate will practice horticultural and botanical techniques in an Arboretum setting, develop skills in plant identification and care of a wide range of species, and learn about regional and global conservation programs , all while working in an active group environment. This part-time winter position will ideally turn into a full-time summer position.
Hours: February to April, 9 hrs per week; May to August, 35 hrs per week Pay: $12-$14 per hour depending on experience
The Conservation Horticulture Assistant will assist with:
- Propagation, nursery production and maintenance of woody plants for collection development and conservation programs
- Following research protocols and procedure s for established conservation programs.
- Curation ;plant& ;collections ;using current ; methods, ;including ;field ;work ;database management using lrisBG.
- Developing knowledge of plant taxonomy ;and nomenclature to aid in plant identification and verification of herbarium samples.
- Compiling data and maintaining information databases.
- Communicating with landowners in the establishment of off-site research plots
- Assisting Arboretum staff with field work, including inventories and data collection.
Our ideal candidate will meet the following requirements:
- Able to commit to 6-7 months of work (part-time in winter, full-time for summer).
- Be enrolled in an academic program related to·horticulture, botany , environmental sciences, or a similar field. (Recent graduates will also be considered.)
- Some experience with plant propagation and/or care.
- Able to work independently in a fast-paced work environment.
- A valid Class G Ontario driver's license.
- The ability to lift 25kgs, and a willingness to work in adverse weather conditions.
To apply, please .send a resume with cover letter via e-mail to: Dr. Shelley Hunt, Arboretum Director, email@example.com