Professor Emeritus and Associate Graduate Faculty in the School of Environmental Sciences at the University of Guelph.
Ecosystem Science, fate and effects of substances in the environment, and ecotoxicology.
B.Sc., Zoology/Chemistry, Rhodes University, 1966
B.Sc. (Hons), Zoology, Rhodes University, 1967
M.Sc., Zoology, Rhodes University, 1971
M.S., Entomology, University of Illinois, 1972
Ph.D., Entomology, University of Illinois, 1973
Professor Solomon taught in areas of toxicology and pesticides at the University of Guelph and advised graduate students. He directs an active program of research into the fate and effects of pesticides and other substances in the environment, exposure of humans to pesticides and industrial chemicals, and risk assessment. He has more than 50 years of experience in research and teaching in pesticide science and toxicology and has contributed to more than 460 scientific publications and reports in the fields of pesticides, environmental toxicology, and risk assessment. To date, he has advised or co-advised eight Post-Doctoral Fellows, 41 Masters Students, and 31 Doctoral Students and has given many short courses on pesticides and ecotoxicological risk assessment in Canada, Latin America, and around the world.
Stephenson, G. R., Solomon, K. R., Frank, R., Hsiung, T., & Thompson, D. G. (2007). Pesticides and the Environment (427 pp). Guelph: Canadian Network of Toxicology Centres Press. This edition of Pesticides and the Environment has been translated into Spanish and Portuguese and is used as a teaching text at the University of Guelph and in several universities around the world.
Prosser RS and Solomon KR. 2022. Pesticides and the Environment 2nd Ed. 440 pp. ISBN Numbers: Electronic Book; 978-1-7780217-1-8, Hard copy; 978-1-7780217-0-1.
- Rodriguez-Gil JL, Prosser RS, Duke SO, Solomon KR. 2021. Ecotoxicology of glyphosate, its formulants, and environmental degradation products. Reviews of Environmental Contamination and Toxicology 255: 129-205
- Smith PN, Armbrust KL, Chen W, Brain RA, Galic N, Ghebremichael L, Giddings JM, Hanson ML, Maul JD, Van Der Kraak G Solomon KR. 2020. Assessment of risks to listed species from the use of atrazine in the USA: A perspective. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health-B 24:223–306
- Neale RE, Barnes PW, Robson TM, Neale PJ, Bernhard GH, Neale RE, Williamson CE, Zepp RG, Wilson SR, Madronich S, Andrade AJ, Heikkila AM, Bernhard GH, Bais … Solomon KR, Sulzberger B, Ukpebor JE, Wang Q-A, Wängberg S-A, White CC, Yazar S, Young AR, Young PJ, Zhu L, Shu M. 2021. Environmental effects of stratospheric ozone depletion, UV radiation and interactions with climate change: UNEP Environmental Effects Assessment Panel, Update 2020. Photochemical & Photobiological Sciences 20: 1-67
- Hanson ML, Solomon KR, Van Der Kraak GJ, Brain RA. 2019. Effects of atrazine on fish and amphibians–update of the quantitative weight of evidence assessment. Critical Reviews in Toxicology 49:670–709.
- Solomon KR. 2020. Estimated exposure to glyphosate in humans via environmental, occupational, and dietary pathways: An updated review of the scientific literature. Pest Management Science 76:2878–2885
- Solomon K, Velders G, Wilson S, Madronich S, Longstreth J, Aucamp P, Bornman J. 2016. Sources, fates, toxicity, and risks of trifluoroacetic acid and its salts: Relevance to substances regulated under the Montreal and Kyoto protocols. Journal of Toxicology and Environmental Health, Part B 19:289-304
- Solomon, K. R., Baker, D. B., Richards, R. P., Dixon, K. R., Klaine, S. J., La Point, T. W., ... & Hall, L. W. (1996). Ecological risk assessment of atrazine in North American surface waters. Environmental toxicology and Chemistry, 15, 31-76.
- Houde, M., Martin, J. W., Letcher, R. J., Solomon, K. R., & Muir, D. C. (2006). Biological monitoring of polyfluoroalkyl substances: a review. Environmental science & technology, 40, 3463-3473.
- Martin, J. W., Mabury, S. A., Solomon, K. R., & Muir, D. C. (2003). Bioconcentration and tissue distribution of perfluorinated acids in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss). Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry, 22, 196-204.
For a full list of Keith's scientific publications visit his Google Scholar Profile.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Global Partners Award for Capacity Building 2018. May 2018. In recognition of outstanding contribution to capacity building in environmental sciences in developing countries.
Canadian Ecotoxicology Workshop’s Outstanding Contribution to Canadian Ecotoxicology Award, 2017. October 2017.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Fellow 2014–present
The American Chemical Society 2013 Sterling B. Hendricks Memorial Lecturer sponsored by the U.S. Agricultural Research Service.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Founders Award, November 2006.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) Europe Award for Environmental Education, May 2006.
American Chemical Society International Award for Research in Agrochemicals. Agrochemicals Division of the American Chemical Society, April, 2002
HERA Ecological Risk Assessment Paper of the Year 2001. Presented by the Editorial Board of HERA for the paper Solomon KR, Giesy JP, Kendall RJ, Best LB, Coats JR, Dixon KR, Hooper MJ, Kenaga EE, McMurry ST. 2001. Chlorpyrifos: ecotoxicological risk assessment for birds and mammals in corn agroecosystems. Human and Ecological Risk Assessment 7:497–632.
Fellow of the Academy of Toxicological Sciences (1999–present).
Watkins Visiting Professor, Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas. February 19–22, 1996.
Society for Environmental Toxicology and Chemistry (SETAC) North America Award for Environmental Education. November 1993.